Scholarships for Indian Students
Are there any external Scholarships to study in the USA? How do I fund my education if I can’t get a Scholarship? Is there a possibility of availing aid other than University? These are some of the most asked questions by many of our students and this article will address these questions in detail.
Fulbright- Nehru Foreign Student Program
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program enables graduate students, young professionals and artists from other countries to study and conduct research in the United States. The Fulbright Foreign Student Program operates in more than 155 countries worldwide. Approximately 4,000 foreign students receive Fulbright scholarships each year.
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program is administered by binational Fulbright Commissions/Foundations or U.S. Embassies. All Foreign Student Program applications are processed by these offices.
Program eligibility and selection procedures vary widely by country.
Fellowships for Indian Citizens
The Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships are designed for outstanding Indians residing in India to pursue a master’s degree program at selected U.S. colleges and universities in the areas of Arts and Culture Management including Heritage Conservation and Museum Studies; Environmental Science/Studies; Higher Education Administration; International Legal Studies; Public Administration; Public Health; Urban and Regional Planning; and Women’s Studies/Gender Studies.
The fellowship will provide the following benefits
- J-1 visa support
- Round-trip economy class air travel from fellow’s home city to the host institution in the U.S.;
- Funding for tuition and fees*, living and related costs; and
- Accident and sickness coverage per U.S. Government guidelines.
- You must possess the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree from a recognized Indian university with at least 55% marks.
- You need a four-year bachelor’s degree, or if the bachelor’s degree is of less than four years, you could complete a master’s degree.
- You should have at least three years’ full-time (paid) professional work experience relevant to their proposed field of study by the application deadline.
- You must demonstrate experience in leadership and community service.
- You should not have another degree from a U.S. university or be enrolled in a U.S. degree program.
- If employed, please carefully follow the instructions regarding the employer’s endorsement. If applicable, please obtain the endorsement from the appropriate administrative authority on the FNMasters Employer’s Endorsement Form. The employer must indicate that leave will be granted for the fellowship period. You can download the FNMasters Employer’s Endorsement Form from the USIEF website.
Eligible Fields of Study
- Arts and Culture Management including Heritage Conservation and Museum
- Environmental Science/Studies
- Higher Education Administration
- International Legal Studies
- Public Administration
- Public Health
- Urban and Regional Planning
- Women’s Studies/Gender Studies
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online. Please refer to the Application Procedure and Guidelines (page 24) on the Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships webpage at www.usief.org.in for fellowship details and Application Instructions.
Address: USIEF, Fulbright House , 12 Hailey Road, New Delhi 110001
Narotam Sekhsaria Foundation – Loan Aid
The Narotam Sekhsaria Foundation, under its postgraduate scholarship Programme, offers Indian students with consistently high academic record an interest-free loan scholarship for post-graduation. The Masters scholarship amount, extending up to a maximum of Rs. 20 lakhs, is awarded on the basis of the Foundation’s assessment of prospective candidates.
The Foundation awards its postgraduate scholarship to students who wish to pursue their studies in the fields of Pure Sciences, Applied Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities, Law, Architecture and Management at prestigious Indian and international universities.
All applications will be screened for shortlisting. Only shortlisted candidates will be informed between the months of April and May. It is mandatory for all the shortlisted candidates to attend a personal interview in Mumbai in the month of June. The interview is the basis for final selection.
It is mandatory for all the scholars to submit attested copies of the following documents within the timeline as decided by the Foundation.
- The letter confirming admission to the college/ university for the proposed course of study.
- I-20 in the case of students admitted to universities in the United States and a copy of the letter highlighting the financial support in the case of students admitted to universities in other countries.
- Number of Awards.
The maximum number of students selected across India to receive this award is 20 per year.
Disbursement and Repayment of PG Scholarship Loan
On receiving a copy of the visa, the scholarship for post-graduation amount will be disbursed. Repayments will commence one year after the completion of the course as per the following schedule:
- 1st year after course completion: Nil
- 2nd year after course completion: 30% of the scholarship amount
- 3rd year after course completion: 35% of the scholarship amount
- 4th year after course completion: 35% of the scholarship amount
The Foundation will award its PG scholarship to students who fulfil the following criteria:
- Indian nationals residing in India.
- Students below 30 years of age.
- Graduates of a recognized university (students in the final year of a degree course and those awaiting their results are also eligible to apply).
- Students having sought admission for a postgraduate degree programme at any prestigious university for the fall intake (Those who are awaiting a decision from a university are also eligible to apply. However, the award of the scholarship is subject to them securing admission)
All applications for the Narotam Sekhsaria’s scholarships for post-graduation are received by the Foundation in the month of January for every academic year.
STEP 1: The mode of application for the Foundation’s postgraduate scholarships is online: The candidate is required to complete the registration online at http://pg.nsfoundation.co.in.
STEP 2: Upon registration for the Foundation’s PG Scholarship, the login credentials will be sent to the registered email ID. Once the registration is complete, an application fee of Rs. 500/- is payable either online through Net Banking or offline by sending a Demand Draft issued in favor of the Narotam Sekhsaria Foundation.
STEP 3: On receiving the application fee, the candidate will be able to access the form online by logging in with the provided login credentials. Completed application forms should be submitted before the closing date.
STEP 4: Only candidates shortlisted for the next round of the selection process are contacted by the Foundation. They are required to produce duly certified supporting documents.
STEP 5: The next round of the selection process is the interview round, for which candidates are required to come down to the Foundation’s office.
- Mark sheets of Std. Xth, XIIth, and all years of the undergraduate programme and degree certificates.
- Score cards of any qualifying examination taken (Eg: GRE, GMAT,CAT, GATE, etc).
- Copy of the admission letter(s) from the university, if obtained.
- Reference letters (in a sealed envelope).
- Statement of the course fee and any other financial document (this would include any other letter indicating the receipt of a scholarship, other source of funding, fee waiver, etc).
- Attested copy of the passport.
- One passport size photograph.
- Latest Income Tax Returns of parents.
The JN Tata Endowment for the Higher Education of Indians
The JN Tata Endowment for the Higher Education of Indians has been helping Indian students since 1892 with loan scholarships for higher studies. People consider it a matter of great pride to be called a ‘JN Tata Scholar’. There are now more than 5,004 JN Tata Scholars all over the world.
The J. N. Tata Endowment awards a one-time loan scholarship only at the beginning of the course to Indian nationals for full time Postgraduate/Ph.D./Postdoctoral studies, in all fields, irrespective of caste, creed, gender or community. The amount to be awarded to each scholar by way of the loan scholarship is determined on the basis of the norms laid down for the purpose, and ranges between Rs.1,00,000/- and Rs.10,00,000/-. All selected applicants do not necessarily qualify for the maximum amount.
The selected scholars may also be recommended for a gift scholarship and travel assistance from allied Trusts as may be decided at the sole discretion of the Trustees of the concerned Trusts. A gift scholarship can be for a maximum amount of Rs.7,50,000/- and the travel grant can be a maximum of Rs.50,000/-.
- Applicants should be Indian nationals who are graduates of a recognized Indian University, with a consistently good academic record and other achievements to their credit.
- Students in the final year of the degree course and those awaiting results are eligible to apply. Candidates may apply even if they have not received admission from any university at the time of filling out the scholarship application form.
- Candidates may, therefore, update their application status with the Endowment once they secure admission. Mid-career professionals up to the age of 45, with good academic records and experience in their fields, specializations or training may also apply.
- Scholars going abroad for seminars, conferences and undergraduate studies are not eligible for a J. N. Tata Endowment Loan Scholarship.
Selection for the Awards
It is a matter of pride to be called a JN Tata Scholar. Staying true to the founder, Jamsetjee Nusserwanjee’s vision of rewarding the brightest and the best, a rigorous selection process is followed. Candidates may note the following points. Apart from consistent academic performance, importance is given to participation in both co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
A good GRE/GMAT/TOEFL/IELTS score is extremely important for those applying overseas. If you have received a low GRE score, it may be advisable to improve upon it, to increase your chances of receiving the loan scholarship.
The statement of purpose carries considerable weight in the selection process. We have provided some guidance on our web site on how you can construct a good statement of purpose. Please ensure that your statement of purpose is written by you and free from plagiarism. After the initial screening of applications, candidates who are found suitable will have to undergo an online test, the date and time of which will be informed to them. Candidates shortlisted based on the online test will be called for the interview. Such candidates should mail scanned copies of the required documents before the time of the interview.
Candidates should note that to be shortlisted for an interview is no guarantee of receiving the loan scholarship. The interview carries significant weightage in the selection process and is conducted in Mumbai by a Technical Committee.
Candidates should come prepared with knowledge of their subjects and suggested areas of interest, as they will be examined in depth and detail.
The greatest weight will be given to depth of understanding of the chosen area of study and career path. There will be two interviewers, one of whom is a subject-expert and the other is the Director of the Endowment.
The final selection of scholars for the award of the loan scholarship is based on the following criteria
- Performance at the interview
- Score in the online test
- Score based on academic results, GRE/GMAT/IELTS/TOEFL scores, extra-curricular activities, research work, statement of purpose, and work experience.
All the Awards will be announced together by the first week of July 2017 by mail. The Trustees’ decision on the award of scholarships is final. Correspondence in this regard will not be entertained.
Formalities to be completed
The candidate and the guarantor (preferably a parent or a relative having the capacity to repay the loan) will have to visit the Administrative Office of the Endowment, by prior appointment, to complete the necessary formalities, after obtaining the visa, in case of students going overseas. They will be required to enter into a legal agreement with the Trustees and provide documentary evidence of the capacity of the guarantor to repay the loan.
Repayment of the loan begins from the time the scholar starts earning or by the end of the third year from the availment of the loan, whichever is earlier. The amount of repayment is 20% of the loan scholarship from the end of the third year to the end of the seventh year Repayment of the loan must be completed by the end of the seventh year from the date of availing of the loan.
All applications have to be submitted online.
Address: The JN Tata Endowment for the Higher Education of Indians, Mulla House, Fourth Floor, 51, Mahatma Gandhi Road, Fort, Mumbai 400 001. India.
Phone: +91 22 66657774, 66657198, 66657681
R D Sethna Scholarship
R D Sethna Scholarship, one of the oldest and best known scholarship programs, was initiated after the death of Mr R D Sethna, the Indian Philanthropist, in 1938. The scholarship aims to assist outstanding and deserving students of all communities.
The R D Sethna Scholarship Fund grants only loan scholarships to students who are citizens of India, regardless of community, caste or creed.
Loan scholarships are granted to enable students to undertake scientific, technical, industrial or commercial studies in India and overseas on the condition that they are repayable with interest in terms of the agreement and other documents required to be entered into and executed by applicants and their male guarantors.
All Applications should be made on the prescribed Form, which can be obtained on request from the Trust office. No Forms will be sent to intending applicants by post, unless the request is accompanied by payment of Rs.50/- either by a Postal Order or by a demand draft in favor of R D Sethna Scholarship Fund.
Applicants must also send a self addressed Rs.10/- stamped envelope of size: 23 cm x 10 cm. Applicants must indicate whether the Form is required for studies in India or overseas.
Applications for loan scholarships are invited by the Trust from 1st April each year. The last date for receiving applications for overseas studies is May 31 and for local studies is August 31 each year. Only successful applicants will be informed of the grant, and no intimation will be given to unsuccessful applicants.
Only those applicants who have passed at least the Secondary School Certificate examination or other equivalent examination and who have secured no less than 50% of the total marks in the last examination given by them prior to submitting the application are eligible to apply for a loan scholarship.
The person proposed as guarantor must be a male, and permanent resident in Mumbai having a monthly income of not less than Rs.10,000/- for applicants pursuing studies in India and Rs.15,000/- for applicants pursuing studies overseas.
Applicants must submit letters of recommendation from 2 recommenders who are permanent residents in Mumbai.
The application form must be legibly filled in and must be accompanied by the following documents:
- Certified copies of the mark sheets of the applicant at each examination commencing with the Secondary School
- Certificate examination or other equivalent examination.
- A copy of the letter of admission to the college, Institution or University at which the applicant intends to undertake studies. In the case of applicants who have secured admission to US Universities or Institutions, they must enclose a copy of the Form I-20. For studies in India, the applicant must produce the receipt of the admission fees paid to the College or Institution.
- Salary certificate or copy of income-tax assessment order of the parents and the person proposed as guarantor.
- Copies of testimonials/letters of recommendations given to the applicant.
- A passport size photograph duly certified as the applicant’s photograph by a S.E.M. or Gazetted Officer or head of any recognized college or institution in which the applicant has studied or is studying.
- Students hoping to study in India must submit proof of the recognition granted to the College or the Institute by the Govt. of India.
Max Rs 3 lakh loan at 2 percent rate of interest
Contact Name: Mr. Farrokh M. Rustomji – CEO
Address: Esplanade House, 29 Hazarimal Somani Marg, Fort, Mumbai-400 001.
Phone: +91 22 2207 7044
K C Mahindra Education Trust
Since 1956, K. C. Mahindra Education Trust has granted interest-free loan scholarships to deserving students to pursue post-graduate studies abroad in various fields. Every year, the trust offers the following scholarships: A maximum of Rs.8 lakh per scholar, awarded to the top 3 K.C. Mahindra fellows A maximum of Rs.4 lakh per scholar, awarded to remaining successful applicants
- The form (Download from http://www.kcmet.org/Overseas-Scholarship-Form-2017.pdf) needs to be printed on legal / full scape size paper.
- The last date to submit the form is usually around the end of March, each year.
- Students going abroad for undergraduate studies, seminars & conferences are not eligible for this scholarship.
- The completed form needs to be sent to the following address:
K.C. Mahindra Education Trust, Cecil Court, 3rd Floor, Near Regal Cinema, Mahakavi Bhushan Marg, Colaba, Mumbai – 400 001
For queries on the K. C. Mahindra Scholarship for Post Graduate Studies Abroad please contact Mr. Kieran Rodrigues on firstname.lastname@example.org or call on (022) 2289 5526
Microsoft Scholarships (Undergrad)
Microsoft awards tuition scholarships and conference scholarships each year to encourage students to pursue studies in Computer Science and related STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) disciplines. Scholarships will be awarded in recognition of candidates’ demonstrated passion for technology, academic excellence, and leadership while working to push the software industry forward.
International students can apply for this scholarship, as long as they are currently enrolled at a four-year college or university in the United States, Canada, or Mexico, and meet Microsoft’s other criteria for scholarship eligibility as described below.
You must be enrolled full time in a bachelor’s degree program at a four-year college or university in the United States, Canada, or Mexico at the time the application is submitted.
The scholarship is open to students pursuing Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related STEM degree.
Maintain a 3.0 cumulative grade point average out of a possible 4.0, or a 4.0 cumulative grade point average out of a possible 5.0.
Recipients receive partial tuition covered for one academic year as posted by the financial aid office at their college or university.
Microsoft will make a one-time payment to the designated school, and amounts are not transferable to other academic institutions.
You may use the funds for tuition only – not for other costs listed on your bursar bill, such as room and board.
The Generation Google Scholarship
Google believes information should be universally accessible. Their education and scholarship programs aim to inspire and help students become future leaders in computing and technology by breaking down the barriers that prevent them from entering these fields.
The Generation Google Scholarship was established to help aspiring computer scientists excel in technology and become leaders in the field. Selected students will receive 10,000 USD (for those studying in the US) or 5,000 CAD (for those studying in Canada) for the 2017-2018 school year.
As part of the scholarship, current high school seniors who are entering their first year of university in 2017-2018 will be required to attend Google’s Computer Science Summer Institute (CSSI) in the summer of 2017. Current undergraduate or graduate students will be invited to attend the Google Scholars’ Retreat in the summer of 2017.
- To be eligible to apply, applicants must:
- Be currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student at a university for the 2016-2017 academic year.
- Intend to be enrolled in or accepted as a full-time student at a university in the US or Canada for the 2017-2018 school year.
- Be pursuing a computer science or computer engineering degree, or a degree in a closely related technical field.
- Exemplify leadership and demonstrate a passion for computer science and technology.
- Exhibit a strong record of academic achievement.
- Be a student from an underrepresented group in computer science (African American, Hispanic, American Indian, or Filipino/Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander). Students who identify as female should apply for the Women Techmakers
- Scholars Program and students with disabilities should apply for the Google Lime Scholarship. Students are welcome to apply for all programs provided they meet the eligibility requirements.
The online application will include.
- General background information (includes contact information and information about current and intended institutions)
- Current resume
- Academic transcripts from current and prior institutions (if the candidate has earned a prior degree)
- Two letters of reference from a professor, instructor, adviser or supervisor
- Responses to four essay questions
More Information: https://edu.google.com/scholarships/the-generation-google-scholarship/
Scholarships are granted at top American, European and UK institutions, for funding requirements including tuition fees.
The Foundation does not award scholarships for more than US$100,000.
The Foundation scholarships are available in the following subjects
- Graduate courses at American and European Institutions in subjects including Architecture, Business Administration, Communications (Film, Television, Journalism), Special Education and Law.
- Courses in Fine Arts, Applied Arts and Conservation, Design and Fashion Design, Theatre and Dance, Music and Composition.
- Scholarships are open to all Indian citizens residing in India at the time of application.
- Candidates are normally expected to hold a good first degree from a recognized university in India.
- Indian citizens, who hold a good undergraduate degree from a recognized university outside India, must have resided continuously and been employed or been studying in India, for at least two years, after their under-graduation.
- People having a postgraduate degree (e.g. Master’s or PhD) from a university outside India are not eligible; those who have started but not completed a postgraduate degree outside India are also ineligible.
- It is essential to have prior admission to the institution and course chosen.
- The Foundation will not consider candidates without admission or pending admission. The institutions concerned must be top ranked.
- Candidates must be below 30 years of age on the first of July in the year of application. Candidates who are already studying or have started their program abroad are not eligible.
- The award of other grants, teaching assistantships and support from other sources for the proposed program will be regarded by the Foundation as a positive factor.
- The Foundation also encourages applications from young people currently employed.
Download here: http://www.inlaksfoundation.org/inlaks_scholarship_application_form.pdf is to be filled in for all applications for Inlaks Scholarships Abroad. The form can be downloaded, filled in and sent to following address:
Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation, C/o Inlaks India Foundation, 86/87 Atlanta, Nariman Point,, Mumbai 400021, India.
Charles Legeyt Fortescue Fellowship
This fellowship is available for students starting graduate programs in the electrical engineering field. The fellowship is offered by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
- Amount: $24,000
- You must be studying in one of the following countries: United States
- Deadline: March 15
- Number of Awards: Variable
- You must be studying one of the following: Engineering
- Includes: Tuition and stipend
Contact Name: Joan Muzzio, Administration
Address: IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 08854, United States